Happy First Day of Fall!
For some reason, as soon as Labor Day is over, we think it’s Fall, right? Decorations start going up and, in most places, the weather starts to cool off. Well, today, September 23rd, is the actual official First Day of Fall. Another sign that Fall is coming is the days are starting to get shorter and the nights become longer. Have you noticed it’s getting dark around 8pm now? I’m really not a fan of it getting dark at 5:30pm. We love being outside so it kinda puts a hindrance on our evening activities. Sigh….
I feel like there is so much to do in such a short amount of time. Do you feel like every weekend there’s a festival going on? I vow not to be so busy. I just want to enjoy the season for what it is and not all the commercial hype.
Here are my five simple ways I enjoy this season:
1. First, Fall is my absolute favorite season! I love the changing of the leaves, especially. I’m originally from West Virginia, so I have very fond memories of watching the leaves turn as a child. I now live in Florida and well, not so much. We have a lot of trees with foliage but nothing like what people have in the New England states. My idea of watching the leaves is taking a simple weekend road trip up to the Blue Ridge Mountains. My daughter and I are actually planning a camping trip weekend at the end of October. We hope the leaves will be vibrant by then. But nevertheless, I’m excited to relax and make some memories with my daughter.
2. Another part of Fall I enjoy is the decorating. I’m more of a simple muted tones girl, but I do love pops of color around the holidays. One thing I became hooked on this year, was making fabric pumpkins. Now, these aren’t your traditional pumpkins. Mine are called Prairie Pumpkins. Since my blog and lifestyle is mirrored after simple living and how Little House on the Prairie was portrayed, I designed my pumpkins after the little girls and the big girls of the show.
I carefully chose primitive, prairie, country, homespun material to go with our classic/authentic farmhouse décor. I love placing these throughout the home and adding them either by themselves or in sets. They add just that little pop of color that I love. I have them listed in my Etsy shop HERE if you’d like to check them out! If you’re looking for a good craft, they are also fun to make!
Another element I love to use in Fall decorating is pillows. You can never have enough pillows, right? I mean, come on, they look great on the porch sitting in a rocking chair or on a swing. I also like to set them on our bed and on the couch. It gives just the right added touch to the season.
My friend makes these adorable ticking pillows in Georgia and I’m excited to be carrying these in my online shop and booth at Trader Mae’s soon. They should be arriving any day now and I can’t wait! I love the cute farm animals but I also love the simple Fall ones.
You can Pre-Order them through my website or stay tuned and I’ll let you know when they arrive. Just make sure you are following me on both Facebook and Instagram. These are custom handmade so please allow a little extra time for delivery.
3. With the days getting shorter, we enjoy sitting around in the evenings working on a puzzle together or watching fall themed movies. With the weather starting to cool off, I am going to be so excited to open up all of our windows. This will be our first year in our new home and I am beyond excited!
4. Another favorite of mine is baking. I love having a piece of my homemade right out-of-the-oven Pumpkin Bread with a pat of butter on it. We will have this for breakfast or in the evenings with a cup of herbal tea. Grab my recipe HERE.
5. I couldn’t leave out the most important thing…Pumpkins. I look forward to every first weekend in October when our local outdoor antique market has their “Fall in the Field” event. They have the most beautiful pumpkins from a farmer in Ohio. I plan to get a few for our front porch and I’m hoping they are coming with some of their famous dried Bittersweet. It truly isn’t Fall without pumpkins!
One last thing I wanted to share with you is……I can’t believe I didn’t start with this because I’m “jumping up and down” excited! Little House Simple Living has it’s very own T-shirt. I know, I’m just as excited! I am honored to have partnered with Joys of Thread and this is my FALL shirt. “Country Roads, Take Me Home”. They are handmade to order and are screen printed onto the most amazing soft and flexible shirt from Bella Canvas. I absolutely love this material! I wish I could have all of my shirts in this. See what I mean? You can grab one here – https://joysofthread.com/2598-2/
No matter where you live, all “Country Roads, Lead Us Home”………
So, how do you celebrate the Fall season? Do you go to several pumpkin patches or festivals? What are your traditions? How do you decorate? I’d love to know…..
Have a Wonderful Harvest Season!
PIN FOR LATER