Simple Ham and Bean Soup

I hope you had a wonderful Christmas! Do you ever feel like we do so much to get ready for the BIG day and then it’s over. I don’t want it to be over. We still have our decorations up. The New Year is such a time for changes, so I think the twinkling lights add something magical to that.

So, now that Christmas is over, what do you do with your ham? Oh, you didn’t have ham?

Ham and Bean Soup, Instant Pot Recipes

Well, we did and I can’t let that bone go to waist. I also got an Instant Pot for Christmas so I’m excited to cook something in it!

Do you have an Instant Pot? I have a confession to make. It has taken me three years to finally make the decision that I needed one. I’m the “From scratch” girl that cooks in dutch ovens. Why on earth do I need an Instant Pot? Well, when I found out this thing can make bone broth in 45 minutes and I can “can” a few jars, I was sold. Plus, on those nights that we get home late, I can get a meal on the table in less than thirty minutes.

I’m pretty sure you can fix just about anything in this thing, right?

My ham and bean soup is so easy to make and only has a few simple ingredients.

Simple Ham and Bean Soup

• Servings: 4-6
  • Difficulty: easy

Ingredients:
1 Ham Bone
2 cups of mixed beans (I used a 15 bean mix)
5 cups of Chicken Broth
1 Onion chopped
3 Carrots chopped
2-3 Bay Leaves
Pink Himalayan Salt (to taste)
Black Pepper (to taste)
Parsley (for garnish)

Directions:
1. Rinse beans and soak overnight. Rinse and discard any broken pieces.
2. Add all the ingredients to your Instant Pot. Put lid on and then press the “Bean” button. Make sure you do a natural seal.
3. Cook for 28 minutes
4. Once the steam as been released, remove the bone and the bay leaves
5. Garnish with fresh parsley and serve with a yummy pan of cornbread.

Note: If you are using a slow-cooker or dutch oven, this will take about 6 hours to cook on HIGH. After three hours, add the carrots so they don’t get too mushy.

Ham and Bean Soup, Instant Pot Recipe

My Instant Pot – 6 Quart Duo Plus. The features of this one are Broth, Beans, Meat, Cake, Eggs, Slow Cook, Saute, Rice, Multi-grain, Porridge, Steam, Sterilize, Yogurt and Pressure Cook. Wow, does this thing do a lot! I’m actually wondering what I ever did without it LOL.

Ham and Bean Soup, Instant Pot Recipe

*Some of the links in this post are affiliate links, which means I will earn a small commission at no additional charge to you. I only recommend products that we personally use and believe in.

Tagged: , , , , ,

16 thoughts on “Simple Ham and Bean Soup

1. kymhretz January 15, 2019 at 4:58 pm Reply

Sounds delicious, such a perfect cold weather meal.

• Wendy January 15, 2019 at 5:11 pm Reply

It really is! I just love a good bowl of soup on a cold night!

2. The Farm Wife January 19, 2019 at 6:09 am Reply

This looks delicious! I love those simple meals, and with a side of cornbread, this will be an easy meal. I don’t have an Instant Pot, but I will be making this anyway!

• Wendy January 21, 2019 at 9:42 am Reply

I do too! A pan of cornbread would be great!!!!

3. Dianne January 19, 2019 at 7:12 am Reply

Oh my, this sounds wonderful. I don’t have an instant pot, but I will be giving it a try the old fashioned way. Thanks!

• Wendy January 21, 2019 at 9:41 am Reply

Yes! On the stove in a dutch oven, slow-cooked or instant – it will all be yummy no matter way!!!

4. kage2015 January 19, 2019 at 8:14 am Reply

This is a staple around our house. Especially on cold windy wet days

• Wendy January 21, 2019 at 9:40 am Reply

Ours too. I love fixing different meals with beans.

5. Kristi@StoneFamilyFarmstead January 19, 2019 at 11:41 am Reply

Oh yeah–I avoided the Instant Pot for years too! I ended up getting a Crock Pot Express (pretty much the same) and it’s been THE best addition to our kitchen in so long! Your soup looks yummy, btw!

• Wendy January 21, 2019 at 9:39 am Reply

Thank you! I’m so glad you are on the wagon now LOL. I really do love the ease of cooking for those nights when you just don’t have time to think!

6. Nancy W January 19, 2019 at 1:24 pm Reply

Sounds like perfect meal for a cold winter’s day! I haven’t bought an Instant Pot yet, maybe for my birthday!

• Wendy January 21, 2019 at 9:38 am Reply

Soup would be great for this weather we’re having! Get one for your birthday. My husband bought mine for me for Christmas. I absolutely love it!

7. Jennifer Cook January 19, 2019 at 1:52 pm Reply

Sounds delicious! I have yet to use my instant pot but this could be the thing to try it out on. Love bean soup! Gives me a warm feeling on a cold winters day.

• Wendy January 21, 2019 at 9:34 am Reply

This would be the perfect thing to start using your Instant Pot. I can’t believe how tender the beans turned out!

8. 15acrehomestead January 19, 2019 at 11:26 pm Reply

I love this recipe and I especially love how you add the directions without an instant for those of us who don’t own one! Gonna try this one for sure!

• Wendy January 21, 2019 at 9:33 am Reply

Thanks, you will love it! I still have a crock pot so I’d like to make sure everyone can enjoy this!