I love pizza! I seriously do. The sad thing is that all of the traditional restaurants are loaded with unwanted calories and unhealthy ingredients.
I started making my own crust five years ago. Getting my kids in the kitchen when they were younger was so much fun. We still enjoy making our own even though they are older. We make individual ones and 1/2 of two different types on one pizza. So much fun! Serve it with a nice healthy salad and that’s a great meal!
I use Hard White Wheat that I grind fresh with my Wondermill Grain Mill. Easy and nutritious.
If you would rather use a sourdough starter, click HERE for a great recipe.
Iron Skillet Homemade White Pizza
Pizza Dough – this is from The Essential Home-Ground Flour by Sue Becker
*This makes (2) 10-12 inch pizza crusts.
4 cups of freshly milled hard white flour (or flour of your choice)
2 cups of warm water
4 tsp instant yeast
¼ cup of avocado oil
2 tsp of pink Himalayan salt
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine warm water and flour. Mix just until a soft dough forms. Cover with a kitchen towel and let rise for 20 minutes.
2. Sprinkle yeast over top and mix to combine. While mixing, add oil and salt.
3. Knead dough until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
4. Dough maybe be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Making the Pizza:
Grab your 10-inch iron skillet and ½ of the dough and form the crust inside the skillet.
Note: Dusting fresh ground cornmeal on the bottom of the skillet first will allow for the pizza to slide out of the skillet easier.
1. Brush the crust with avocado oil, fresh minced garlic and sprinkle a blend of Italian seasoning. (I use this one HERE.)
2. Next, spread the crust with ricotta cheese. Be very generous. You can never have enough ricotta! Learn how to make your own HERE!
3. Next, add toppings like uncured pepperoni or bacon, spinach, olives, onion, peppers. Whatever you like!
4. Grate fresh mozzarella and spread over the top of the pizza.
5. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
I love using Avocado Oil in my cooking. It can tolerate high heat and is so nutritious for you. Click HERE to see all of the health benefits.
If you’re new to grinding your own flour or just want to check it out, grab my friend Wardee’s FREE E-book on all you need to know on milling your own flour. I’ve partnered with the Traditional Cooking School and highly recommend all of their teachings and products.
I only recommend products and services I wholeheartedly endorse. This post may contain special links through which I earn a small commission if you make a purchase (though your price is the same). Please see my full disclosure policy HERE.
PIN FOR LATER