Why We’re Building a Farmhouse

What do you think of when you hear the word “Farmhouse”? I think of a white home on a farm with a garden, a clothesline and animals.  I think of families gathering in a large kitchen or your neighbor coming over for coffee and a piece of pie. I think of sitting on the front porch shelling beans from the garden and listening to music in the evening. I think of a much simpler lifestyle.

New Farmhouse, new construction, Simple Farmhouse

Back in the day, American farmhouses had a straightforward construction designed to function amidst a working farm in a rural setting. They had a simple rectangular floor plan, usually built with local materials, and included a dominant centrally-located fireplace for cooking and heating. (Source: Wikipedia)

I think of going out to my cousin Mary and Bruno’s farm when I was a little girl. They had cows, chickens and the prettiest farmhouse. We had all of our family reunions there. I remember sitting on their front porch just catching up with my cousins. Come one, we have a lot of cousins in West Virginia! 😉

*The above were some inspirations found on Pinterest and Instagram.

We chose to purchase our 10 acres back in 2014 because we wanted to raise cows/chickens, have a bigger garden, allow our dogs to run-in wide-open spaces, to have more property and basically live a more simple life. We also wanted a farmhouse, but more of a custom one.

Is the Farmhouse movement just a fad or is it here to stay? We didn’t decide to build a farmhouse so we could follow the new craze. We actually designed our plans according to how it would fit our family. Our kids are 19 and 21 now, so this is our third home my husband and I have built. We wanted a new home that was more wide open so we could all fit in the kitchen and hang out. We wanted to be able to sit on our front porch in the evenings and talk about our day. We also wanted the farmhouse big and functional enough for our next stage in life. Married kids with children LOL, but not right now.

*A few vintage finds that will be going into our new farmhouse.

In our new farmhouse we’re building, our front porch is big enough to hold a swing at one end and look like Cracker Barrel if we wanted to add that many rocking chairs LOL.

We wanted a house with simple clean lines. A metal roof was a must. To sit and listen to the rain is just so peaceful. I actually want to cook inside my fireplace in the house. I have an old black stove that I would love to turn into a working one. Maybe do some outdoor cooking on it.

Our taste is more Colonial/Primitive Farmhouse. We wanted a new home just because it’s hard to find property with old farmhouses on them that are in good condition. We also wanted to custom design it. We pulled the permit as owner-builder so we could take our time and give those extra personal touches.

The inside is going to have pops of vintage all over it. We want it to look like an old farmhouse. I’ve also been able to find some really cool vintage looking items online. When you come over, we want it to feel “like home should feel like” and help our guests reflect on yesteryear.

Our new farmhouse should be complete in just a few months. The exterior is nothing fancy. We’re very simple and the appearance of our new home reflects that in the way we designed it. We are using board and batten and stone on the chimney and skirting, but that’s the extent of our fanciness! Here’s to front porch sittin’ and reminiscing of the days gone by!

IMG_2320

Are you building a new farmhouse? Or, are you into the farmhouse style? I’d love to hear from you!

Follow Us on our journey over on my INSTAGRAM PAGE – @lhsimpleliving. I’d love to connect with you and get ideas from each other!

PIN FOR LATER

new home construction, new farmhouse, vintage farmhouse

Tagged: , , , ,

29 thoughts on “Why We’re Building a Farmhouse

1. Jayme Marquez January 21, 2019 at 9:50 pm Reply

Oh my gosh! Your farmhouse is gorgeous!! It makes me wish we could buy our farmhouse today! I can’t wait to be on acerage with exactly as you explained it. A little white house with an adorable front porch and lots of room for garden, animals and children to roam wild and free❤️🥰

• Wendy January 23, 2019 at 10:23 am Reply

You can do it! This is our third house we’ve built. Husband is a contractor and I love the designing part so we work good together. We both love clean lines and a simple home! 🙂

2. arrowhillcottage January 21, 2019 at 10:41 pm Reply

Absolutely right there with you! Designing a new ‘old’ house with simple lines and fuss free interior! Love your farmhouse!

• Wendy January 23, 2019 at 10:22 am Reply

Thank you so much! I appreciate it!!!

3. lepetitsaintcrochet January 21, 2019 at 11:04 pm Reply

I absolutely love this! Half of me would love to live on a farmhouse and have chickens and cows. But the other half of me wants to live in the city and be able to walk to museums and restaurants! Don’t think I’ll ever be able to combine those two dreams! Haha!

• Wendy January 23, 2019 at 10:21 am Reply

I hear ya! I love the farm/country life but then also enjoy going to our little downtowns which aren’t too far from us. 🙂

4. anja January 22, 2019 at 1:48 am Reply

I can’t wait to see updates and pictures! I am sure it will be gorgeous!

• Wendy January 23, 2019 at 10:20 am Reply

Yes, stay tuned! It’s about to get real fun as the painters are coming next week to start the exterior!

5. Megan January 22, 2019 at 7:54 am Reply

We are working on our farmhouse plans! Your ideas are similar to ours. We have property and my husband and I are looking for a simpler way of life for our future family!

• Wendy January 23, 2019 at 10:19 am Reply

Congratulations Megan! It’s a fun process for sure!!!

6. Katie January 22, 2019 at 8:57 am Reply

Beautiful plan and beautiful vision! We built our farmhouse 3 years ago, but at the last minutes changed it to more of a colonial style with traditional moldings, 9 over 9 windows, and a hipped roof. I was worried about the trendiness of the farmhouse look. But now I wish I had stuck with our plan. On the right property like yours, it is timeless.

• Wendy January 23, 2019 at 10:16 am Reply

Katie, I love the colonial style too. I think ours will be a blend of colonial/primitive/farmhouse!

7. alleighfollett January 22, 2019 at 11:31 pm Reply

Hate to say that I’m jealous, but…. 😉

• Wendy January 23, 2019 at 10:19 am Reply

Your decorating is beautiful! I can’t wait to get in the house so I can start LOL.

8. Cherrie January 23, 2019 at 2:13 pm Reply

what a beautiful farm house and I am low key jealous 😂

• Wendy January 23, 2019 at 9:20 pm Reply

Thank you so much!!! 🙂

9. stmarthaslens January 23, 2019 at 2:15 pm Reply

Your Vintage Finds are amazing! I love your house and your ideas… You’re literally living out my dream.

• Wendy January 23, 2019 at 9:20 pm Reply

Awe, that’s so sweet! Thank you so much!

10. Rachel Young January 23, 2019 at 2:22 pm Reply

This looks like a beautiful house! So nice that you are able to build it the way you would like and have a solid plan on how to use it! Good Luck!

• Wendy January 23, 2019 at 9:19 pm Reply

Thank you! It’s been a true blessing for sure!!! 🙂

11. Amanda Blakeney January 23, 2019 at 2:46 pm Reply

I am absolutely in love! I want a farmhouse so badly! It is gorgeous!!!!

• Wendy January 23, 2019 at 9:18 pm Reply

Thank you so much! 🙂

12. Danica Anne Panganiban January 23, 2019 at 3:08 pm Reply

the idea of building a farmhouse sounds heavenly. Growing up in a third world village, I have taken everything for granted. When depression hit me and couldn’t decide where to go, I found myself in Germany and wishing our simple life in the village. I have the world to see and few years from now, I will be back to our little farmhouse.

• Wendy January 23, 2019 at 9:18 pm Reply

That sounds wonderful! I was almost born in Germany. My dad was stationed in the Army over there but they flew my parents back so I could be born in the states. 🙂

13. Damaris January 23, 2019 at 7:05 pm Reply

Our dream is to build a farmhouse one day! And I’ll love it even when it’s no longer a fad!! Yours is beautiful 🙂 🙂

• Wendy January 23, 2019 at 9:16 pm Reply

Thank you! I don’t think I’m ever going to want to move LOL.

14. Alison January 23, 2019 at 7:26 pm Reply

Love! Beautiful pictures!

• Wendy January 23, 2019 at 9:15 pm Reply

Thank you!

15. everydayfarmhouse January 30, 2019 at 11:48 am Reply

This looks lovely! I look forward to following along!